Sorry for the Outtage!

• Official Post

What happened? Could you be more specific about what caused this outage? I'm sorry, but just saying "Sorry for the Outage!" isn't very professional at all.

I, Cubisima, alongside the entire SuchtHosting Team, deeply acknowledge and apologize for the recent service interruptions. We understand the importance of transparency, and I'm here to provide a thorough explanation of the events.

Here are the multi-faceted challenges we encountered:

1. NGINX Configuration & Internal Redirection Issues: An upstream server configuration anomaly within our NGINX reverse proxy resulted in a 502 Bad Gateway error. Further investigation revealed that internally, the reverse proxy had been misconfigured to redirect traffic to the internal IP 192.168.1.5, causing issues with WAN traffic entering our system. This specific misdirection was identified and rectified alongside other discrepancies in the NGINX http directive configurations, notably within the proxy_pass module.
    2. DNS Misconfiguration: Parallel to the NGINX issue, a misconfiguration in our DNS records led to problematic domain name resolutions. As a result, our website was temporarily inaccessible to certain users. We took swift corrective actions, adjusting the DNS A and CNAME records to their proper settings.
    3. Firewall Transition Challenges: As a part of our continuous effort to enhance our infrastructure, we transitioned from the FortiGate firewall to the UniFi Dream Machine. Though this change promises long-term benefits in terms of security and performance, its initial setup was not without challenges, particularly related to accurate IPv4 address routing.

In response to these situations:

• I've refined and optimized our NGINX configurations to prevent similar issues in the future.
    • Advanced monitoring mechanisms have been implemented to ensure swift detection and rectification of system anomalies.
    • Post the firewall transition, we're conducting consistent checks to guarantee accurate routing of IPv4 addresses.

On behalf of the SuchtHosting Team and myself, I genuinely regret the inconvenience these technical hiccups might have caused. We remain committed to resolving such challenges promptly and ensuring clear communication with our valued users. Please feel free to share any additional questions or concerns.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!